1/16/13

Quinoa chicken soup

I CRAVE chicken noodle soup every winter all winter. I'm a comfort food nut, but the side effects of comfort food aren't very comforting to me. As of late anything with gluten has been tearing me up. My kinisiologist thinks I may be gluten intolerant. Joy. But, I figure if health is my trial...bring it! At least it's something I LOVE learning about!
Anywho. The chicken noodle soup craving came fast and strong today while I was out in the cold. Something you need to know about me, is that I am a cheap skate!! (In most scenarios) gluten free noodles just were not happening! Can you say expensive? So, I made the chicken and vegetables like normal, boiled in organic chicken broth and then added sea salt, pepper, basil and a little bit of distilled water. As it simmered I knew it wouldn't suffice. I needed something that would give it a noodly texture and stick to my ribs. What does that better than quinoa?? I can eat 1/2 cup of quinoa and and be full for hours! So, once my chicken/veggie mixture came to a boil, I added rinsed quinoa and cooked for about 20 minutes. Needless to say...it made the blog, satisfied my craving and was completely gluten free!!
If you wanna try it... Just find a chicken noodle soup recipe (I make mine up) and add the rinsed quinoa last instead of noodles!
Happy healthy cooking!

KBS!

No comments:

Post a Comment