4/13/12

Happy, Healthy, Honored

I've been asked a lot about how I have learned how to cook healthy...well, after having NO choice, I’ve had to learn. Starting off, things tasted a little...flavorless. Almost TEN years I’ve worked on it and am actually starting to enjoy the things I cook now. It doesn't hurt that I’ve been blessed with the ability to eat red meat again...of the EXTREMELY organic assortment. :) Most of you have read that because Mike hunts, and there is NOTHING added to the meat and it is soooo lean, I have been able to eat red meat again. What a mega blessing. 
However, this post isn't to reminisce and re-reminisce about how happy I am to have the husband I have and his hunting blessings. This post is because numerous people have been asking for some healthy recipes. And whereas I normally just health it up as I go, there are a few recipes that I DO remember what I’ve done. :)

The first and one of my favorites is a pasta carbonara. This is usually a really heavy cream and fatty dish. I haven't turned it into a fat free dish, but I have helped it out. Besides, some fats are healthy fats. :)

For this recipe you'll need:
~coconut oil
~turkey bacon
~garlic (garlic is a natural anti-oxidant, natural anti-biotic, aids in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels)
~pasta--cooked (I love the pasta that is made from spinach, tomatoes and carrots. it’s called smart choice garden delight) 
~Neufchatel cream cheese (I use Neufchatel because it has less fat. there is such thing as fat free, but fat free has other unnatural additives that can be worse than actual fat...so I chose not to eliminate it completely.)
~soy milk (you can use milk...BUT, I like the flavor [and the health aspect] it adds to the dish.)
~parmesan cheese
~cubed chicken (optional)
photo courtesy of: http://geriberi.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/1052_medium.jpg

Cook up the turkey bacon. Note: turkey bacon will NOT cook like regular bacon...just cook until it is the right looking color.

You’re then going to start by putting about a tablespoon of coconut oil in a frying pan. Once it’s melted, turn the heat to just above medium (coconut oil smokes when it gets too hot) and add about 2 teaspoons of garlic. (I always add more...but I love the taste and with all those health benefits. WHY NOT?!) Once that is simmered and the aroma is strong, throw in the soy milk...I’m awful with the whole measurement process, so I’d say it’s about a cup? You want the soy milk to be heated but not scalding...otherwise when you add the cream cheese, it'll chunk and not melt. *add cream cheese now* once the cream cheese is smooth and mixed in with the liquid, add about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and mix through. Once everything is all mixed in, add the bacon. I just use some scissors to cut it into pieces cause it will not crumble...I use generally about 15 strips of bacon cause I love the flavor...but normal recipes will only call for about 6. 
If you choose, add the cubed chicken into the pot. It adds a good texture, but isn’t necessary for a delicious dish. :) 
Pour over the noodles and enjoy! 

Here’s to health! :) 
More recipes to come!

<3 KBS

No comments:

Post a Comment